Changes must be reviewed before being displayed on this page. Tomb of Mulana Zafar Ali Khan. Founded in the 18th century, Gujranwala is a relatively modern town compared to the many nearby millennia-old punjab board of investment and trade of northern Punjab. The city is part of a network of large urban centres in north-east Punjab province that forms one of Pakistan’s mostly highly industrialized regions.
Punjabi, and was named in reference to the Gujjar tribe of nomads and grazers that live in northern Punjab. The exact origins of Gujranwala are unclear. Gujranwala is a relatively modern city. It may have been established as a village in the middle of the 16th century. The interior of the Sheranwala Baradari is elaborately decorated.
Mughal power, various Sikh states came to control the region around what is now modern Gujranwala. September 1761 by Khwaja Ubaid, Governor of Lahore. He then elevated the city to status of capital of his Misl in 1763. Punjab until the arrival of the British. Ranjit Singh maintained Gujranwala as his capital initially after rising to power in 1792. Gujranwala during this era, and established the city’s new grid street-plan that exists until present day. Durranis in 1799, at which point the capital was moved there, leading to the relative decline of Gujranwala in favour of Lahore.
By 1839, the city’s bazaars were home to an estimated 500 shops, while the city had been surrounded by a number of pleasure gardens, including one established by Hari Nalwa Singh that was famous for its vast array of exotic plants. Gujranwala’s rail station dates from the British era. 1848, and rapidly developed thereafter. Brandreth, Khiyali, and Lahori Gates built atop the site of a Sikh-era gates were completed in 1869. A new clocktower was built in central Gujranwala to mark the city’s centre in 1906.
Christian missionaries were brought to the region during British colonial rule, and Gujranwala became home to numerous churches and schools. The city’s first Presbyterian Church was established in 1875 in the Civil Lines area – a settlement built one mile north of the old city to house Gujranwala’s European population. A theological seminary was established in 1877, and a Christian technical school in 1900. Gujranwala with other cities in British India by rail in 1881.